BLACK WATERS

Book #1 in the Songstress Trilogy
The Story...

Sixteen-year-old mermaid Abby Carson thought she had her secret under control. Who cares if after “the change” took place, she became so beautiful that all the girls at school hated her. And the boys, well, when they look at her, hate isn't exactly what's going through their minds.

But when Abby witnesses a teenage girl's murder by a preternatural creature off the coast of Cape Cod, her carefully controlled life slips into chaos. Hiding in the water until the killer's gone is a must. Getting spotted by Brian Baker, a boy from school, isn't. Neither is falling in love with him. That definitely wasn't part of the plan.

Combine all this with the mysterious mermaid box Abby receives as a postmortem birthday gift from her dad, and she's pulled even deeper into the world of shades and monsters. Once the full force of Abby's deadly siren powers are revealed, the only one she can hurt more than herself is the boy she loves.

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Tron: Legacy...Wish I'd Seen It at the Movies


Last night I saw Tron: Legacy on Netflix, and it was EXCELLENT. I wish I could go back in time and see it at the movies, or better yet, in 3-D. But of course the price of a babysitter AND a movie (especially a 3-D one) is a little too steep for me, so I kept my dollars in my pocket. Stupid, stupid, stupid!!!

Now I'm a huge fan of the original Tron movie. In fact when I was eight, I was so impressed by the film that I wrote a play based on it. I called it Computer Kidnapped. Somehow, I managed to convince my third grade teacher to let me produce and direct it. Eventually, my cast of third graders performed Computer Kidnapped in front of the entire school.

Okay, back to Tron. As a kid, one of the things I really liked about Tron was the special effects. I also remember being desperately terrified of David Warner who plays, among other characters, the MCP (Master Control Program). I'm actually a little nervouse about watching the original again, and it's not because I'm still scared of David Warner. It's just that, sometimes, when I watch a movie that I loved as a kid, as an adult, it looks terrible to me. I actually destroy all the good feelings I have toward said movie. (This happened to me with Ladyhawke, by the way. If you liked that movie as a child, DO NOT watch it now!) I'm not saying that's what will happen with Tron, but I don't want to risk it.

Anyway, like Tron, Tron: Legacy was pretty fantastic. Though the plot is a teeny bit predictable, the special effects make it so you don't care. I really like the idea of falling into another world. (So in that way I guess there's an Alice in Wonderland feel to the movie.)

In Tron: Legacy, The Grid is a scary place. The sky is a dark slab of black that rolls over a desolate landscape. Most of the light in the movie comes from the red and blue glow of the various programs' suits and vehicles. Visually, it really is like you're inside a video game. Not a place I'd like to end up permanently, but a pretty amazing world to visit for a couple of hours. So two thumbs up from a late to the game watcher but still a huge fan!

No comments:

Post a Comment