BLACK WATERS

Book #1 in the Songstress Trilogy
The Story...

Sixteen-year-old mermaid Abby Carson thought she had her secret under control. Who cares if after “the change” took place, she became so beautiful that all the girls at school hated her. And the boys, well, when they look at her, hate isn't exactly what's going through their minds.

But when Abby witnesses a teenage girl's murder by a preternatural creature off the coast of Cape Cod, her carefully controlled life slips into chaos. Hiding in the water until the killer's gone is a must. Getting spotted by Brian Baker, a boy from school, isn't. Neither is falling in love with him. That definitely wasn't part of the plan.

Combine all this with the mysterious mermaid box Abby receives as a postmortem birthday gift from her dad, and she's pulled even deeper into the world of shades and monsters. Once the full force of Abby's deadly siren powers are revealed, the only one she can hurt more than herself is the boy she loves.

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Balance... That's My Goal (Gulp!)


Today I've been thinking an awful lot about my attempt to balance writing and marketing on only about 1.5 hours a day. Yes, it's true. That's all I have. I'm a busy person with lots of obligations, and it's hard to squeeze in those few precious moments.

Now, unfortunately, and I say this in a wish I knew then what I know now way, I had no game plan when I first put Black Waters up on Amazon. I'd read a couple of top selling YA/PNR books and thought mine was comparably good, so I put it up. Oh yes, I admit it. I was one of those naive writers who fervently believes that if he/she publishes something on Amazon then people will buy it. Alas, that's not exactly how it works. There are tons of books on Amazon, and I mean TONS. You have to make a real effort to get yourself known. It's tough because, like most writers, what I really want to do is work on my next book. You see, Black Waters is a series, and I've got the next installment all mapped out. (Plus a big chunk of it written too!) But how do I juggle my time between marketing activities like blogging, tweeting, trying to get reviews, commenting on other people blogs, etc., and still have time to work on my next novel?

Okay, so there's no easy answer for that one. But, really, I think all a person can do is designate specific times for writing and specific times for marketing. (And then you basically have to try not to obsess about one while you're working on the other-- so hard!) Balance, yes--that's what I'm after. And maybe I should start waking up earlier so I have a bit more time-- especially since I signed up for NaNoWriMo. Oh no, what was I thinking???? Why am I blogging when I should be working on my novel???? Wait...deep breath. Balance...that's right. Okay, here we go again.

No comments:

Post a Comment